||Login to MyCompBenefits.com
What distinguishes CompBenefits' VisionCare Plan from other managed care plans?
CompBenefits' VisionCare Plan (VCP) does not currently contract with retail chains. Instead, we contract only with private practice optometrists and ophthalmologists. We believe this provides our members an holistic doctor-patient relationship rather than the merchant-customer relationship some retail chains create. VisionCare Plan providers are responsible not only for prescribing the correct eyewear to patients but also for their overall eye health. This arrangement ensures that CompBenefits' members receive the most thorough diagnostic analysis and treatment available.
What are the criteria for participating with CompBenefits' VisionCare Plan?
Eye care professionals wishing to be a part of the VisionCare Plan network undergo an extensive check that includes verifying credentials, checking office suitability, and confirming licensing and insurance requirements. Eye care professionals applying for network membership must have a completed application on file with CompBenefits.
Upon receipt of a completed application, our professional credentialing staff will review:
Other aspects of the applicant's practice must indicate that the applicant is a safe, qualified, and competent practitioner.
- Possession of a current professional license to practice optometry, medicine, or osteopathy. Ophthalmologists are required to be Board Certified or Board Eligible. We verify these credentials with the applicable state agency.
- Applicant education and training, including graduation from medical school and completion of a residency for ophthalmologists and/or graduation from optometry school and completion of specialty training, as applicable, for optometrists.
- Applicant's office to confirm that it meets all state requirements and is of sufficient size to provide complete eye care, including sufficient space for supplies, files, and records storage. The office must be available for a credentialing site visit if one is required.
- Possession of professional liability insurance for an amount CompBenefits determines is necessary. VisionCare Plan providers are also required to carry malpractice coverage for $1 million per occurrence and $3 million aggregate.
How many providers participate with CompBenefits' VisionCare Plan?
CompBenefits vision network includes over 19,300 independent optometrists
and ophthalmologists locations nationwide.
How many members does VisionCare Plan cover?
CompBenefits' national vision membership is 2.4 million.
How will members know that I am a VisionCare Plan provider?
Members access our VisionCare Plan provider list at www.CompBenefits.com. We update this electronic provider list daily. CompBenefits also provides members with printed provider directories, which we update quarterly.
Is there a cost for participating as a VisionCare Plan network provider?
There is no cost for provider membership in the network, except in Florida.
What is your reimbursement?
Provider reimbursements are based competitively on the provider's geographic region and member demographics. Providers may contact their Professional Relations Representative at 1-866-374-8805 for more specific reimbursement information.
Can I make my own eyewear?
Participating professionals have the freedom to select their own lab, our lab, or any one of our nationally contracted labs. There are no incentives to use a particular lab nor are rebates provided.
Members' frames, lenses for glasses, and contact lenses can be provided on site or ordered. The average time for delivery is three to five business days from order date.
Do you cover re-fabrication of eyewear in the event the member is not satisfied?
Network providers will be reimbursed for up to 12 re-fabrications in a calendar year if a contract lab is used.
What do I charge members who want options (for example, progressive lenses) on their eyeglasses?
VisionCare Plan is designed to cover in full your patients' basic visual needs with attractive savings on cosmetic options. If a plan member selects cosmetic extras, network providers agree to charge the patient the predetermined wholesale cost given on the VisionCare Plan patient options price list. Because our network providers charge based on wholesale pricing, we can assure plan members excellent value and consistent pricing that does not vary by provider location.
Under the VisionCare Plan, patients and doctors are not limited to certain brands or manufacturers.
CompBenefits will pay only for the basic cost for lenses and frames covered by the Policy. The member is responsible for extras selected, including but not limited to:
The Patient Options Price List is available by calling CompBenefits' Professional Relations Department at 1-866-374-8805.
- Blended lenses
- Progressive multi-focal lenses
- Photochromatic lenses, tinted lenses, sunglasses, prescription and plano
- Coating of lens or lenses
- Laminating of lens or lenses
- Groove, Drill or Notch, and Roll and Polish